April 22, 2011

Blog vs. Wiki

I've long tried to figure out the advantages and disadvantages of wikis and blogs...which would be a better fit as a learning/teaching tool? 

The following comes from: ISSINSTRUCTION@UMICH.EDU





, WWW.LSA.UMICH.EDU/ISS

Feature/Use
 Wiki
 Blog Wiki Blog
Commenting X X
Post 
Files X -
Insert 
images/video X X
Widgets X X
Group
 contributing X X
Privacy
 controls X X
User 
controls X X
Chronological 
order
 of 
content - X
Members 
can 
edit 
anyone’s 
work X -
Members 
can 
edit 
only 
their 
own
 work - X
Intended
 to 
accommodate 
a 
large
 amount 
of 
information
 X -
RSS
Feeds X X
Maintains 
version 
history X -
Archives 
old 
posts
 - X
Page 
to 
page 
linking
 X -
Mobile
Posting - X

So Some Questions 
to 
Ask 
Yourself:

  • Do 
I
 want
 students
 to 
work 
collaboratively 
in
 creating 
and
 editing 
a 
body 
of 
work?

  • Do
 I
 want
 each
 individual 
student 
to 
keep 
a
diary 
of
 observations, 
reviews, 
or
essays 
for 
other 
students 
to 
read
 and
 comment
on?

  • Do 
I 
want
 the 
ability 
to 
post 
course 
materials, 
such 
as 
PDFs
 or 
Word
 files 
for 
students 
to 
download?

  • Do 
I 
want 
students 
to 
create
 a 
subject 
guide
 or 
reserve 
of
 frequently‐asked
 questions?

  • Do 
I 
want
 to 
be
 able 
to 
see
 who
 made
 changes 
to 
what 
and
 when?


  • Do 
I 
want 
to 
keep
 old 
versions 
of 
material?

  • Do
 I 
want 
a 
resource 
that 
can 
be 
used 
over
multiple
 semesters 
or 
for
 multiple
 courses?

  • Am 
I 
looking
 to
 create
 more 
conversation 
amongst 
the
 students 
over
 a 
series 
of 
constantly 
changing 
topics?

  • How
 much
 effort 
do 
I 
want 
to 
put 
into 
learning
 and
 maintaining 
a 
resource?


Recommended
 options 
for 
wikis
 
 
 
 
 

  • PBWorks
(www.pbworks.com)
 
 
 
 
 


  • Mediawiki
(contact
ITCS)
 
 
 
 
 
 

Recommended
options
for
blogs

  • Blogger
(www.blogger.com)
  • Wordpress
(www.wordpress.com)


  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment