I'm forever checking this so I thought I'd just post this here.
Docs you create and files you upload have some limits built in.
- Documents: 512,000 characters, regardless of the number of pages or font size. Uploaded document files that are converted to Google documents format can’t be larger than 1MB.
- Spreadsheets: 400,000 cells, with a maximum of 256 columns per sheet. Uploaded spreadsheet files that are converted to Google spreadsheets format can’t be larger than 20MB, and need to be under 400,000 cells and 256 columns per sheet.
- 40,000 of your cells can have formulas
- Certain formulas have their own specific limits, too, to make sure that even complex spreadsheets stay fast.
- Up to 1,000 GoogleFinance formulas
- Up to 1,000 GoogleLookup formulas
- VLOOKUP and HLOOKUP formulas tend to be more complex than other formulas. If your spreadsheet is slowing down or you think you may be approaching limits, you may want to remove some of these formulas.
- To determine the number of responses that a form can take, you need to take into account the number of questions in your form and the number of other cells of data within your spreadsheet.
- Presentations: Presentations created in Google Docs can be up to 10MB -- which is about 200 slides. Uploaded presentation files that are converted into Google presentations format can also be up to 10MB.
- Drawings: We’ve never seen anyone make a drawing that was too big (but that’s not a dare).
In terms of the last factor, in other words, you have a total of 1GB of storage in Google Docs. You may upload a single 1GB file but then, you can't upload anything else. Anything else you try to upload will have to be converted to Google Docs format and limited the size restriction there (1mb).
- Other files: Files that you upload but don’t convert to Google Docs format take up to a total of 1GB. That can be all one file if you want -- the upload limit is 1GB, too. (If you need more than 1GB of storage space for your files, you can view pricing plans for additional Google Docs storage.)