January 31, 2016

TurboTax and New York state fees?

This is a post about using TurboTax to e-file for New York State. I've used TurboTax for years and as I realized that I never really took notice of whether they charge for e-filing my New York state taxes.

In 2010, New York prohibited commercial tax prep software from charging a fee for e-filing:
https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/efile_mandate_for_individuals.htmWhat you need to know about the e-file mandate:
The cost of tax preparation software always includes the e-filing service; New York State law prohibits additional charges.
Usually, I buy TurboTax Deluxe which includes prep for federal and one state. E-filing the federal return is also included for free. BUT TurboTax usually charges a fee for filing a state return. Given that New York State has mandated the above, I wondered if I would be charged a fee for e-filing my state return through TurboTax. It seems that if they do, they would be violating the law. In the past, TurboTax has countered that they've always charged "tax preparation fee," but if the Deluxe version includes one state prep, then it would seem that there should be no fee associated with e-filing my state tax return (also see this from the NY Post).

If you google "turbotax E-file fees do not apply to New York state returns." you'll see a bunch of results that have that line, but I can never find that line when I click on the actually links. At any rate, I'll pay closer attention this year when I file my taxes and update this post then.

Meanwhile, I just bought TurboTax Deluxe for a mere $39.99-- there's a sale for the next week, so just in case you're interested. Oh I should point out that I usually download the software rather than filing through the TurboTax website. If you're interested in buying it from Amazon, please feel free to click the link below (full disclosure: it's part of the Amazon Associates program).

No comments:

Post a Comment